Its not hard to find “used 18650 cells”. Usually you can go any electronics store and ask for used batteries or to where you recycle electronics. Also you buy spare batteries cheap for models that are no longer serviced or you can look at auction sites.
I sell my used batteries at auctions in sweden on Tradera (swedish ebay). I try to test them and put them into similar groups and i actually got quite much for some cells so i will try to figure out “How much used 18650 cells are worth”.
- 5 NEW LGGBMJ11865 = 235 kr cells i had over, thats 47 SEK each (4.34€).
- 114 xLGGBM261865 1400-2600mah = 1111 SEK = 9,74 SEK/each (0,90€)
- 77 x LGDBMH11865 2800-2900mah = 1440 SEK = 18,70 SEK/each (1,73€)
- 28 x LGAAMF11865 1700-2000mah = 366 SEK = 13,07 SEK/each (1,20€)
- 18 x LGABHE21865 2100-2300mah = 330 SEK = 18,33 SEK/each (1,69€)
I sold a lot of old panasonic cells, CG, B and PF
- 5 Panasonic NCR18650B (3300mah+) = 106 kr = 21,2 SEK/each (1,96€)
- 39 Panasonic NCR18650B (3200mah+) = 605 kr = 16,8 SEK/each (1,55€)
- 14 Panasonic NCR18650B (3100mah+) = 346 kr = 24,7 SEK/each (2,28€)
- 12 Panasonic NCR18650PF (2900mah+) = 251 kr = 20,91 SEK/each (1,93€)
- 70 Panasonic NCR18650PF (2800mah+) = 1180 kr = 16,85 SEK/each (1,55€)
- 120 Panasonic NCR18650PF (2700mah+) = 1750 kr = 14,58 SEK/each (1,34€)
- 220 Panasonic NCR18650PF (2600mah+) = 2222 kr = 10,1 SEK/each (0,93€)
- 48 Panasonic NCR18650PF (2500mah+) = 520 kr = 10,83 SEK/each (1,00€)
- 59 Panasonic CGR18650 (2100mah+) =545 kr = 9,23 SEK/each (0,85€)
- 130 Panasonic CGR18650 (2000mah+) =935 kr = 7,19 SEK/each (0,66€)
- 33 Panasonic CGR18650 (1900mah+) =265 kr = 8,03 SEK/each (0,74€)
- 33 Panasonic CGR18650 (1800mah+) =222 kr = 6,72 SEK/each (0,62€)
- 150 Panasonic CGR18650 (1700mah+) = 700 kr = 4,66 SEK/each (0,43€)
- 100 Panasonic CGR18650 (1600mah+) = 325 kr = 3,25 SEK/each (0,30€)
- 100 Panasonic CGR18650 (1500mah+) = 230 kr = 2,3 SEK/each (0,21€)
- 100 Panasonic CGR18650 (1400mah+) = 220 kr = 2,2 SEK/each (0,20€)
Now this is amazing! I really really this! Putting upp cells on an action site is great! I have no use for them! I would most likely have given some of them away for free but by testing them ans selling them in small groups ALL of these cells will get a new chance to productive! Im also amazed that there are so many people that are fighting over these for their own DIY projects! Buying new cells in expensive! And i test and only cells good brand cells like these! Many are like new and have 1000s of cycles left! Also you can clearly see that the seller set the price and BOTH the seller and the buyer get a GOOD DEAL! 0,20€ is not much for a cell as you ca see i made a few €100 by testing them first and the buyers knows exactly what they are getting!
I started this the fall of 2019, i had sold some before but NOW i started selling smaler quantities so that all DIY could find an auction that suited their project and i will continue this every sunday on tradera. I only ship within sweden but you can check my current auctions here.
Let continue with Sony cells. Old US18650V3:
- 64 US18650V3 (1900mah+) = 105 kr = 1,64 SEK/each (0,15€)
- 153 US18650V3 (1800mah+) = 920 kr = 6,01 SEK/each (0,55€)
- 30 US18650V3 (1700mah+) = 170 kr = 5,66 SEK/each (0,52€)
- 60 US18650V3 (1600mah+) = 252 kr = 4,20 SEK/each (0,38€)
- 30 US18650V3 (1400mah+) = 150 kr = 5 SEK/each (0.46€)
These are not “premium” cells BUT they are good and can handle 30A when new. I also have about 500 of these on 2000-2250mah range but those i keep for myself!! For now!
And a bunch of Samsung Cells:
- 120 INR18650-29E (2700mah+) = 1310 kr = 10,91 SEK/each (1,00€)
- 41 INR18650-29E (2600mah+) = 485 kr = 11,82 SEK/each (1,09€)
- 18 INR18650-29E (2500mah+) = 169 kr = 9,38 SEK/each (0,86€)
- 88 ICR18650-26* (2500mah+) = 785 kr = 8,92 SEK/each (0,82€)
- 88 ICR18650-26* (2400mah+) = 770 kr = 8,75 SEK/each (0,81€)
- 49 ICR18650-26* (2300mah+) = 428 kr = 8,73 SEK/each (0,80€)
- 92 ICR18650-26* (2200mah+) = 668 kr = 7,26 SEK/each (0,67€)
- 10 ICR18650-26* (2100mah+) = 23 kr = 23 SEK/each (0,21€)
Now i these are fair prices. They are good prices. I get them “for free” so i cant be mad i dont make more. Im also “flooding the market” putting out over 5000 cells so most DIY will get what they are looking for so prices might get low BUT these helps people see that you can get used tested cells really cheap on auctions so i think prices will increase for the same cells on a year or 2. Especially since i will out out more every sunday and bacillary no one sold used 18650s for 1 sek in starting bid before so this is still new for every one.
Sanyo cells. I have about 800 more to auction this fall.
- 87 ur18650aa (2200mah+) = 1056 kr = 12,13 SEK/each (1,12€)
- 283 ur18650aa (2100mah+) = 1590 kr = 5,61 SEK/each (0,51€)
- 200 ur18650aa (2000mah+) = 1752 kr = 8,76 SEK/each (0,81€)
- 68 ur18650aa (1900mah+) = 545 kr = 8,01 SEK/each (0,74€)
Notice that most buyers also pay €10-€20 in shipping. I pay fees on about 5% the value and spend at least 1-3 minutes on each cell pulling them out of a pack, removing the nickel, testing them and sorting them. Also i pay my employee to pack and ship them. And i pay 25% VAT on all auctions since i sell them via my company so i only get about half in profit i guess? But i do this since i think its FUN, i learn a lot, i dont have to recycle them and the cells can be usefull to someone else! WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN.
Now there is only about 10% of cells that i have time to test. Most are sold in BULK at larger auctions like these.
How much do you think used tested 18650s are worth?